Back to School Tech Tools

It is that time...Back to School. I (Melanie) get so excited this time of year and I am 100% sure Megan does, too! My family laughs at me because my heart skips a beat as soon as I see the school supplies out at Target! The start of a school year signifies a fresh start (for students and staff) and an opportunity to do things even better than you did the previous year. For me, that is the beauty in being an educator. Every year, you have the chance to learn, grow, and reflect and apply it to a new start. The biggest perk is we have the blessing of impacting and inspiring students and there is no better profession I can think of!

With the beginning of the year comes late nights, lots of planning, and a growing to do list. Today, I want to share with you some useful tech tools that can help you rock it this school year!

1. Wunderlist

I have talked about this before and I don't know what I would do without it. Wunderlist can be downloaded to your phone or you can visit the site. It allows you to create to do lists and mark things off as you complete them. You can have multiple lists going at once organized by title. You can also share them with other team members. At my previous campus and current, we use this at the beginning of the year so that we can create our to do lists collaboratively and check tasks off as we complete them so everyone knows what is finished and what still needs to be done! We also use this to brainstorm ideas. For example, we can create a list called Campus Focus and all add ideas as we think of them! (FREE)

2. Canva
Canva is another neat tool. Our Director of Instructional Technology and Media Services (shout out to Rikki-she is awesome) told me about this last year and I fell in love with it. You can create motivational posters, invitations, presentations, positive notes, and social media graphics. I have personally created motivational posters for the halls and staff restrooms and also data notebook covers personalized with our campus focus. This is also great to create graphics for school reminders to post on social media.  (FREE)

3. Google Docs/Slides/Forms.....Google Everything

I love Google and can't imagine life before it. It is so user friendly and invites collaboration. Last year, I posted about how our campus used Google Forms to collect data and document all the students we saw. You can find that post HERE! If you're district does not use Google or you don't have much experience with it, there are tons of helpful videos on YouTube. Just a reminder to check with your district to ensure that you are using a secure server before creating anything with student names so that you are protecting confidentiality.


I hope you all have a great start back to the school year! Hopefully these tools can help you start off to a smooth, organized school year. If you're in need of an inspirational read, don't forget to check out Megan's post HERE. She beautifully captures the importance of making sure every member of a team feels valued. It is definitely something I believe in 100% and I was inspired by her examples of how we can be purposeful in communicating value.


-Melanie





No comments:

Post a Comment